Floral Design The 'Green' Way
For more than 15 years we have had a strong passion for being as eco friendly as possible when teaching flower classes,flower courses and flower workshops.
We supply all the materials for most of the sessions we hold throughout the year, unless stated otherwise.The bulk of our greenery is sourced from our own private grounds. We are fortunate that we have a fairly large garden where we have an extensive supply of foliage,with most of the varieties being available all year round. We also grow a small selection of our own cut flowers which can be incorporated within the floral designs.
In addition to our home grown cut flowers,we also source our flowers from local growers located within Devon and from our adjoining Cornwall.When some of our sessions require specific flower and foliage varieties unavailable in the UK,we arrange their import with with our local supplier.
Along with this we have an interest in teaching ‘green’ floristry techniques.We are dedicated to researching and developing new eco friendly trends and continually want to be involved in generally reducing our collective carbon footprint.
We strive to practice the following Environmental Ethos-
- We support local businesses and craft workers.
- We compost all our green waste from our private gardens and from our workshops placing into 3 large compost heaps at the rear of our garden. Making our own compost this way means that we are then returning what we have used to mother earth.
- Water conservation,we save rainwater in two large water butts for our own planting.
- We keep chemicals to a minimum using natural alternatives wherever possible.
- We use eco friendly,biodegradable materials within our classes whenever possible and when the design lends itself to this.
- We Strive to Reduce/Reuse and Recycle products.
For more information on our home grown cut flowers and foliage please see ‘Resources’ page.